A subject that seems to crop up quite often in the blogs I follow is procrastination and there's a feature on it in this month's Candis. I really must get round to reading it sometime...
No, seriously, I did read it and it recommends The Procrastination Equation by Dr Piers Steel.
We often joke about it but the consequences can be serious if it impacts your health, your finances or your job. Apparently there are three types:
1. Arousal - the thrill of getting close to deadlines
2. Avoidance - fear of failure
3. Decisional - lack of confidence
Fortunately there are techniques to overcome the problem:
1. Find out what's stopping you
2. Put distractions out of sight
3. Break down your tasks
5. Share your problems with a friend
6. Reward yourself
7. Don't lie to yourself
8. Commit some time to the tasks you should be doing
I shall make a start on that list straight away. Starting with number 6.