Sunday, 19 January 2014

Bits & Bobs

Just a few bits and pieces of news...

I have a story in the current issue of Take a Break Fiction Feast. In the shops until February 6th.

Just sold a story to Yours magazine for their 2015 yearbook. This is the third year in a row I've had a story in their annual. Should be available around August 2014.

Fellow writer Bead Roberts is running a writing course at Weetwood Hall in Leeds over the weekend 26th - 28th September 2014. The course costs £240 which includes food and accommodation and can be paid in instalments. It begins on Friday afternoon, finishes Sunday lunchtime and includes workshops and one-to-one advice. Details can be found on the website www.malagaworkshops.co.uk. It was attending one of Bead's workshops that set me on the way to getting my stories accepted by various magazines. She gives value for money with a no-nonsense, no time-wasting approach.

Recently found out I won the Nottingham Writers' Club award for a children's story. The competition was for a mystery/suspense story for 8 – 12 year-olds on the theme of 'magic'. The adjudicator was Ann Evans who is a published author of children's fiction, history books for children, adult books and a 'how to' book about writing. I attended Ann's writing course last year so that has obviously paid off.

Congratulations to my friend Carol Bevitt who won the Writer of the Year award at Nottingham Writers' Club.

Thanks to Helen Ellwood for taking part in the blog chain. Following on from Helen is Ruth de Haas.

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on those publications.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the latest story successes, Keith. And well done on winning the trophy for the children's story.

    I know I learnt a lot from attending Bead's workshop, so I'd certainly recommend looking at the details.

    Thanks for the mention about the trophy. But I do have to say that Keith deservedly won it in 2012, and quite probably will again in future. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support throughout the year, Carol. Hopefully we'll both continue with our successes this year.

      Delete
  3. This is a good new year for you, Keith. Well done for your win and one day we might be in the same edition of Fiction Feast rather than in different ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of lovely positive news here, Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you! You've been writing up a storm, haven't you? And successfully, too. Congratulations on the additional publication and awards successes. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your competition win Keith. I'd love to read your winning entry - is it online anywhere?

    Good luck with future comps.

    Ange

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela.
      Sorry about the late reply but I've had problems with my router and been offline for a few days.
      The story will be in the NWC Spring Special so I don't know if I'm allowed to put it online. If not I'll e-mail you a copy.

      Delete