Wednesday, 21 January 2015

Finding Time

Happy New Year!

Since Christmas I've really struggled to keep up with Twittering, Blogging, answering e-mails etc, not to mention trying to get some writing done, so I've bought Kath McGurl's e-book Give Up Ironing. It's a self-help book on time management for writers and the title refers to the fact that many of us get bogged down in domestic chores, rather than actually sitting down to write. I'm now trying to put Kath's ideas into practice. At least now I've read the book, got the t-shirt, as they say. (But not ironed it – obviously).

For those of you that don't know, Kath's alter-ego is womagwriter, that source of submission guidelines that all us magazine writers find invaluable.

 
 One distraction that I'm not going to give up is spending time with my granddaughter, Orla, who will be one year old in a couple of weeks.



She doesn't like wasting food and has found that the best way to ensure her cereal bowl is empty is to wear it on her head.





Here she is trying to get to grips with using cutlery. Hasn't quite got the hang of it yet but I'm sure she soon will.



I must be getting some work done because I've had 3 stories published already in 2015 and there are another 2 in the pipeline. With Kath's guidance I'm hoping for a good year.

22 comments:

  1. I can't believe your granddaughter is one! It doesn't seem five minutes ago you were introducing her to us. I agree, no matter how busy we are we should always make time for those special little people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time flies doesn't it, Wendy? Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. There's no point managing your time if it doesn't allow you to do the important stuff - such as being with Orla!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Patsy. Kath does cover family time in her book.

      Delete
  3. Glad the book's helped! What a darling Orla is. Thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time does fly, and Orla is growing beautifully.

    Yes, Kath's book is very helpful too.

    Congratulations on the stories so far, Keith. And hopefully many more in 2015. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. Good luck to you too.

      Delete
  5. Great to see you back, Keith. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicola. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  6. Aw, what a cutie, Keith! I've bought Kath's book too and it's full of good stuff - so much so that I've actually (for probably the first time ever), written down my writing targets for 2015! Good luck with your writing for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Er.. just need to add, the 'cutie' I'm referring to, is Orla.. not you, Keith.. just in case, you know..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew! Thanks for clearing that up, Helen.
      Hope you have a successful year too.

      Delete
  8. It is wonderful to see such a happy child. Well done with all your submissions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. congratulations on all your story successes. beautiful baby too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. Not sure what side of the family she gets it from. Hope things are well with you.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd say with three stories already published and two more in the pipeline, your year is ALREADY off to an amazing start! Good for you.

    Your granddaughter is adorable. (As if you didn't know.) It's hard to believe she's already a year old. Time really DOES fly when you're having fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I hope she doesn't grow up too quickly.

      Delete
  12. Such lovely photographs. My twin granddaughters are now 10 months old and although they don't live with us, they visit often and take up a lot of my writing time. But I wouldn't have it any other way! Glad to see your writing is still going strong, Keith. All the best. Ange

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela. Fortunately her other granddad is an excellent photographer. You must have double the enjoyment.

      Delete