Friday, 23 October 2015

Shock Horror! Editors Have A Sense Of Humour

It's been a bit of a busy week.

Last Sunday was awards day at Trowell Writers' Club. We don't have many members but the turnout was excellent and it seems like I made some popular choices as the prose judge. So I'm relieved about that.

I sold my 40th story a few weeks ago and my latest is in the October 24th edition of People's Friend. Pleased with that too.

On Thursday October 22nd I went up to York to attend a People's Friend short story writing workshop. This was run by the magazine's commissioning fiction editor Shirley Blair with the assistance of prolific writer Kate Blackadder. As writers it's sometimes easy to believe that editors are grim people whose only purpose in life is to make our existence miserable by criticizing our work and rejecting our submissions. Well, either we're all wrong or Shirley is a remarkable exception. The talks were upbeat, the exercises were fun and she even threw in a few jokes. There were 25 attendees whose age range must have spanned around 6 decades, the oldest being a sprightly 92 year old. I met a fellow writer who I had already met on a couple of previous events at Nottingham Writers' Club and another lady who works as an extra on Emmerdale. Some, like myself, had already had successes with a few magazines while others had not yet submitted anything. The event was really useful to me and I'm really glad I didn't miss out. If you want to submit to People's Friend it's essential that you keep up to date with their guidelines which can be found on the PF website.

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very worthwhile experience, Keith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, Patsy. Great to meet Shirley too.

      Delete
  2. The workshop sounds great, Keith. I read your story in PF yesterday - loved it :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa. Your comments mean a lot to me.

      Delete
  3. Gosh - 40th sale! I read your story about sitting on the stairs last night, and found lots that I could relate to. I liked all those nostalgic bits about the World Cup, and the way you moved the story forwards through time. Glad you enjoyed the workshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne. I enjoy writing the nostalgia ones. It was great to talk with the other writers at the workshop too.

      Delete
  4. I have only heard good comments about the Friend workshops, Keith - they sound good fun and I'm jealous you got to meet Shirley. Well done on your sales :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy. I see we're neighbours in the current Friend. I believe PF are planning more workshops for next year and I would recommend them to anyone.

      Delete
  5. Look forward to reading that, Keith, and hope the Workshops come to Birmingham or Wolverhampton next year. Well done on the sales as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. A few of the attendees were suggesting the Midlands as a venue so keep your fingers crossed.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your 40th sale, Keith.

    Sounds like the trip to York was very worthwhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. I've written a summary and e-mailed it for Scribe.

      Delete
    2. That's good. I will make sure I read it. And thanks. :-)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your 40th short story sale, Keith.

    I was at the recent Dundee workshop and agree with everything you've said about Shirley and Kate. We were very lucky to have Tracey and Alan speak in addition - and they were equally entertaining and lovely. (Alison had to man the office so wasn't at the workshop, but I've met her previously and she's lovely as well.)
    (Look at me name dropping - living so far north means I don't get to meet too many other writers in person, but the upside is that I'm just down the road from Dundee.) :0) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzanne. Must have been great to visit the home of PF, The Beano, etc.

      Delete
  8. So pleased you enjoyed the workshop, Keith. I've only heard positive things about them.

    Many congratulations on your 40th sale. Amazing!! Have a lovely November and I hope the family are all well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicola. The family are great.

      Delete