Thursday, 11 August 2016

More Excuses

I know I say this every time but I've been very busy.

It's over two months since I last posted on here. After the A levels at the sixth form college finished there were still quite a few exams I was called in to supervise at the NVQ college where I work. But now there won't be many until it picks up again in September. So no more excuses. (Maybe).

Not only that, I've also neglected to comment on other blogs. The list of blogs I follow has mysteriously disappeared from my profile page. I think the list is still somewhere in my account but I can't seem to get it back on my profile. Has anyone else had this problem?

I had two stories in The People's Friend in July and another two this month. The People's Friend 2017 Annual has also come out this month and I have two stories in that. I'm trying to keep up the submissions for other magazines but when you're having success in one area you tend to concentrate all your energy that way don't you?

I'm booked in for the Woman's Weekly Story Telling Workshop in Manchester on September 8th. I've never had any success with Woman's Weekly so I'm hoping to find out why this is. Is anyone else going?

Anyway I'm off to listen to the Test Match get some writing done.

8 comments:

  1. I find it's easy to let the writing get away from you during the summer months, Keith.

    Congratulations on the PF successes.

    Looking forward to hearing about your time at the Woman's Weekly workshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know all about it, Carol. Sorry I missed the NWC social. I've been a bit rough this week.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the PF successes and I hope you enjoy the workshop - and cricket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patsy. Looking forward to it.

      Delete
  3. You are my People's Friend brother! Like you, since having regular success with this magazine, I write very little for the others now. I know I could earn more elsewhere but PF buy most of the stories I submit so it's a no brainer for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, the fact that you get good feedback from PF makes me want to stick with them. I don't know about you, Wendy, but Shirley sometimes gives me two or three attempts at getting a story right.

      Delete
  4. That "People's Friend" magazine also sounds like it's a writer's friend. Getting feedback and encouragement to rewrite a story are worth more than the higher amount of money another magazine might pay you. A women's magazine here paid me eight hundred dollars for one of my stories, but they edited the living daylights of it. (Removed every pronoun, and replaced it with the character's name, for Heaven's sake!) I'm not sure I'll ever submit another story to them again, no matter how much they pay.

    Have fun at that conference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PF are very good at helping you get your story just right.
    Thanks for coming by, Susan.

    ReplyDelete